I’ve heard this excuse three times this week, so I’m addressing it here.
“Alexis, I’ve already invested thousands of dollars in myself to this point. I am not sure I have the money for this.”
The common “I don’t have any money objection.” Some sales experts will tell you that you have not shown
your value enough or something went wrong in your strategy session. That’s not it.
I normally don’t handle objections. If people are blaming their circumstances on why they can’t do something, I let it go.
Why? I’ve been blessed by the Universe to have 95% of my clients already know I’m their consultant before we talk. Our strategy call is about the details, answering questions, and what they can expect. So you could say these are not ideal clients, but that’s not the point of this post.
So in this particular strategy session something came over me. Before I could clamp my mouth shut, I asked, “So (I’ll call her Suzie) Suzie, how much do you trust yourself to make good on your investment?”
The line got really quiet. And what I heard was a cascade of “umms, well I” and a whole bunch of other excuses.
So I said, “Let be real. This isn’t about your lack of money. This is about your lack of follow through and action.”
By the way, I was not saying this to be brutal. I wanted her to be honest with herself.
She sighed, “I haven’t figured out how to make the money back.”
And yet the solution she was seeking was right in front of her because that is what the Wealth Code Sessions are designed to do. Wrap all that up in a package you can take action on.
But she didn’t trust herself to implement.
Quite a conundrum.
To get over her excuses she would have to face some hard truths about spending money, investing in her personal development, going to all these seminars and events, get full of all this inspiration + knowledge, but not do anything with it.
And that’s not even the real underlying issues here.
The real issue is you want a different reality, but instead of doing the work to create it from within, you reach outside of yourself for inspiration and motivation without ever grounding it within yourself. It’s energetic emotional eating at it’s finest. You never feel full so you keep investing (eating) and investing (eating) hoping something will click or make you feel better about yourself forever.
Success requires two things personal responsibility (you take full ownership of you – good and bad – and work through your issues to move forward) and accountability – a way of keeping yourself on track (mentor, colleagues or a friend.)
Most people fail when it comes to personal responsibility in entrepreneurship for a variety of reasons, but these are the two I notice the most.
First, employee mentality. You want to be told what to do in a paint by numbers way that allows you not to take ownership of your business results.
Second, you lack the coping skills to keep moving when the going gets tough.
Want to get out of this hole?
- Understand no one, but you can change your circumstances. No one is coming to save you. And your coach or coaching program cannot your sole source of inspiration. You become an energy vampire at that point.
- Practice energy management. Mindset and emotional management are everything in business. They drive your behavior. Use daily rituals to like meditation and energy clearing to keep yourself up.
- Implement what you learn. Money is the RESULT of CONSISTENT ACTION. If you have no money, you have not been consistent.
- Be an “I’ll find a way” person. Entrepreneurship is not for the faint of heart. You will fail and you will succeed, but you have to be willing to be resourceful to make it happen.
- Be honest with yourself. Stop blaming outside circumstances and making excuses. The only person who is responsible for your results is the person looking back at you in the mirror every day.
And when in doubt remember this from my mentor, Kelly Fidel.
“You can have money or you can have excuses. You can’t have both.”
As a consultant, my biggest goal for my clients to help them succeed. They don’t always like what I say. I don’t care if they get mad at me. But they understand they are at choice – take action on the guidance coming their truth in their soul records or stay in the same cycle.
You have everything you need to take action.
Just do it already.